Time is just an agreed upon construct. We have taken distance (one rotation of the earth, and one orbit of the sun) divided it up into segments, then given those segments labels.

-Author Unknown

Before man decided to differentiate between the periods when the sun had risen, and when the moon had taken its place, there was no such thing as time. Before days, hours, and minutes ever existed there were merely rotations of the earth that brought about phases of light, and periods of darkness. But our quest for intellectual enlightenment, coupled with human curiosity urged mankind to quantify and label the earth’s rotations.

Early Egyptians divided the day into two twelve hour periods, erecting huge obelisks that rose into the sky, allowing them to use shadows to track the sun’s movements. The Greeks and Persians used water clocks called clepsydra. And Plato even went as far as to develop one of the first alarm clocks utilising water, lead balls, and a columnar vat. This creation of the clock bought with it acceptance of time and structure. The periods of light and darkness were broken down into days, hours, minutes, and seconds.

Nowadays we have wrist watches, stereos, smartphones, and numerous other devices that act as clocks. We live according to the sexagesimal numerical system established by ancient Sumerians; measuring our lives down to the nearest second, believing that time is one of the most precious commodities that one can amass.

I for one, constantly tell myself that I need more time. I convince myself that if I could just find extra hours in the day I could write more, or make a better effort to see my friends and family, or be healthier. On the surface these grievances with my insufficiency of time seem justified. I’m a busy man. I work, I run a website, I write novels, and attend university. On top of that I have to maintain my health and fitness, spend time with my partner, and so on.

But those grievances are nothing more than excuses. Time is a creation of man. It isn’t, nor was it ever intended to be our ruler.

I recently attended a seminar where the lecturer stated that within every adult is a child, and in the heart of that child lays an unanswered question, or questions. They are the compulsions that drive us, the insecurities that cause us to lose sleep at night, and the reason we hide behind excuses like time. These questions claw at our subconscious during moments of high tension and cause the fragility of our ego to rear its ugly head. We ask ourselves about our own importance, or question our safety, or query the significance of our very existence.

steampunk-eye1

But because our minds are not programed to interpret and quantify such harrowing questions, their manifestation is interpreted by our brains as fear. We fear failure, embarrassment, uncertainty, success, and a million other things. But our ego prevents us from acknowledging that we are insecure, vulnerable, and afraid. While we wish that we could tell ourselves and others that we are struggling, we refuse to accept our own weaknesses. We blame our failure to launch, or our refusal to extend ourselves beyond our reach on bullshit excuses like time.

When you cast some objectivity on our willingness to limit our own potentials and refusal to acknowledge the unanswered questions of our innermost self, it seems ludicrous that we so often choose to hide behind a construct that started with obelisks and clepsydras. And yet, people do it every day. I do it every day. I tell myself that I am too busy to relax with my partner, or to see friends, or that I don’t have enough time to stop and enjoy life.

At times this foolish notion that I can’t squeeze anything more into my days leaves me frustrated and ashamed. I look at the lives of others who are spending their time with family, or writers that don’t need to work as hard as I do to survive and it makes me bitter. I have been known to cuss out strangers before, believing that their lives are easier than mine, because they have more time than I do. But the truth is that they don’t. It is illogical to think that these strangers have somehow found a way to defy science and create more hours in their day than I have in mine.

The reason that I look at these people who have seemingly made it in comparison to me with such loathing, is that despite all of my successes as a writer and a man, I’m still petrified of failure. I have devoted years to writing manuscripts and blogs, and at times it has felt as though I am on the verge of creating a career through literature. Yet I’ve never quite managed to become the massive success that every artist dreams of becoming.

My unanswered question forces me to continuously ask if I am good enough, and how it would feel to fail. When panic and self-doubt starts clawing at my subconscious and undermining my confidence, I play the time card. I tell myself that I am too busy to fully embrace my dreams and become the man I have always dreamed of becoming.

The truth is that at age 27, time is still my friend. I have already come a long way from the emotionally fragile man that created this weblog four years ago. When I started blogging I had a list of unanswered questions and insecurities a mile long, but through writing I have managed to discover the answers to many of them. I’m no longer afraid of accepting my vulnerabilities, nor am I afraid of exposing heart and mind to the world. There are posts on this website that I wrote with a smile on my face, and there are many that I wrote with tears running down my cheeks.

Nowadays my list of unanswered questions has been whittled down to the two entries mentioned above. I ask myself am I good enough to be positioned alongside the literary elite? And am I willing to strive so hard for my dreams that I am prepared to risk spectacular failure? When these questions cause me to doubt myself I still tend to shield myself from heartache by saying that my busy schedule and lack of time is holding me back.

But using time as a means to avoid your unanswered questions will ultimately leave you feeling unfulfilled. The construct born through the creation of obelisks and clepsydras should never stop anyone from achieving their dreams. For me personally, when I hear myself use this act of deference to protect myself I need to be conscious of what is really causing me pain. Am I really complaining about a lack of hours in the day? Or do I need to dig a little deeper and confront the fear of failure that is really holding me back?

***The Renegade Press is now on Facebook! Click here to see more.***

79 thoughts on “The Construct of Time

1. So true… I feel like this so often myself. Time is definitely on your side though, I’m much older than you and feel time slipping away so quickly. I think my biggest setback is fear of failure. Once somebody overcomes the negative perceptions that they have of themselves, they usually end up very successful. So keep on writing… I always look forward to your thought provoking posts. 🙂

1. Henry Game says:

You are such a nice person Michelle. I am very happy to see you here. And I totally agree with you, of course. I have just said as much in my own comment. 😇

1. Thanks HG… It’s good to see you here too. 😉

2. Wow I love the way you’ve expressed it.

3. Glad that you’d come a long way on your journey to self-discovery, and, there is still more to know about you that’s locked up that’s waiting to be discovered, and until we can all dig up all the trash, the dirt, and everything that’s happened to us individually and deal with it, and work through it, growth is not yet achieved, and you sound like you’re well on your way, so, continue doing waht you’re doing, and keep working on Y-O-U.

4. More than just a fear of failure, I have realized, after teetering on the verge of success, then failing to act when it was needed, that I carry a fear of success. Isn’t that an odd realization? And yes, like many, I have blamed time, or lack thereof. But we are surrounded by examples of so many people who live full, rich lives, and manage to make time for the people and things that matter. And yet, we share the same 24 hours.

1. Aloha Girl from Jupiter … I thought you might find this quote interesting … All the Best, Bob Carter

… Namaste

5. Miriam says:

Another thought provoking and brilliantly written post Chris. I know the busiest of people who seem to be able to do it all and what they seem to share is a passion for life and a belief that you can do whatever you set your mind to. I’m a lot older than you Chris, I haven’t done everything I wanted to and yet I feel relatively content with what I have and what I’ve achieved. When all’s said and done I just want to make the most of every day I have on this earth.

6. KT Marie says:

This is maybe the third or fourth post from you that I’ve read, I’m starting to realise that the reason I find them so enjoyable is because your brain seems to work in a very similar way to mine. The big difference is, you really do have a gift for expressing those thoughts in a way that’s truly enjoyable for others to read. Thank you for another inspiring post! Totally agree with your thoughts on the excuses of time constraint.

For what it’s worth I think that success is a matter of opinion, and depends solely on what you attribute it to. If you base the measurement of your success on a monetary value, then it’s easy to measure, but if you base your perception of success on how your writing affects others, then you are already reaching a huge number of people and I, for one, can vouch that your posts have the power to change the course of an entire day. If you don’t already feel like your writing belongs among the greats then I hope that feeling changes for you. Certainly one of my favourite blogs to follow!

7. Henry Game says:

I thoroughly enjoyed that post my man! You have a natural way with words it seems, or else you spend an insane amount of TIME correcting and perfecting. “Perfection” is another notion that doesn’t exist. Don’t get me started on that, please, I ain’t got the time or energy.
    I like you do not accept the excuse of time to cover the cracks of failure. Well done for embracing this fallibility in your own armour. You will reach spiritual enlightenment at an impressively young age my friend.
    Take care,
    HG

8. cecile53 says:

I totally agree with KT Marie. You have more than 9000 people following your blog. They would not follow it if you had nothing to say or was saying it the wrong way. So it is clear that you can write and clear you can write very well. So write.
    Yes ofcourse, when you learn more about your self you will be able to write better about what is going on in humans. But for such a young person you allready are very observant so you can write now allready many things of interest for many people. So write.
    Trying to know albout your self is a lifetime job. And it is as good an excuse as lack of time or fear of failure. So stop contemplating, start writing to fullfil your dream. 🙂

9. Kris says:

My oldest is 27..Can I tell you how proud I am of you? Your thoughts are not only beautiful, they are thoughtful and are a cause for thinking. Thank you for blogging.

10. eirenehogan says:

The measuring of time is a construct, but time itself is not. If you do not call the single rotation of the sun around the earth ‘an day’ you are still stuck with the physical fact that the sun takes that long to rotate the earth, and if you haven’t done all the things you wanted to do in that time from one sunrise to another, then you will have run out of ‘time’.

I do understand the angst you are talking of, and have been through it all myself. Whew! We want so much out of our lives, but in reality, only have 60 to 90 years to achieve it all. You can want it all, but can’t actually get it all. If want to remove the excuse of ‘I’ve run out of time to do that’ from your to-do list, then you will have to examine what you actually DO do in the single-rotation-of-the-sun period, and prioritise it, and eliminate some things in order to add others. That is certainly worth doing, if you feel you are not achieving enough and envy those who you think are achieving, but it doesn’t remove the fact that time is real and does exist.

The other thing to look at it the pressure that we tend to place on ourselves that makes us expect to achieve so much; to ‘succeed’. What is success? If you do not become a famous writer, does that mean you have failed? If you spend quality time with your partner, and maintain a loving carefree enjoyable relationship, couldn’t that be seen as success? If one places an enormous high expectation on oneself, then it is so easy to seem to ‘fail’ because you haven’t reached those heights. If you lower the bar of expectation, or even eliminate it completely, then you may value and enjoy life more, regardless of how much time you use up during the day. What is the meaning of life? Is it to succeed in these high demands? Or is it to take your ‘time’ and relax and enjoy what each day gives you?

All this is from an ‘old’ woman (56) who has spent many years beating herself up because she also has not managed to achieve all those huge things she wanted to as a youth, but is pleased now with her marriage and family life and knowledge gained from relaxing and reading books and blogs, and writing the odd blog post herself. I do enjoy reading interesting blogs like yours, so I thank you for them.

1. jrose88 says:

I agree about lowering the bar, although part of me is whining quietly in the back of my head that the phrasing makes it sound pretty negative. Once in a meditation group I used to attend, the group leader pointed out that if you set goals for yourself with your meditation practice but fail to meet them, beating yourself up about it is the opposite of what meditation and mindfulness are supposed to be about. He said that if you fail, just accept it, learn from it, and see what you can do to meet your next set of goals. If that means scaling them down a bit to be more realistic, even if that scaling down is only temporary as you work on the foundation of good habits, then that’s fine. As long as there’s forward motion instead of backward, setbacks are okay and can even be valuable learning experiences in the “know thyself” department.

2. Edward Fagan says:

Eirenehogan, your response to some of the points raised by Chris in his wonderful post is right on target. You mentioned that time is not a construct, and you are right. Time is real and an aspect of nature. It comes about when there’s movement between two or more objects in space that are related to each other. Movement between the earth and it’s sun for example, demonstrates this.

Time indicates finity or limitedness and is necessary for the fulfillment of activity whether of nature or man. Foetal development and building construction are examples of this point. It requires the existence of matter and space. Timelessness will usher in when matter and space serve their purpose and are dissolved by their creator, God himself.

Humans worry about fulfillment within time periods simply because as you mention, we have a lifespan of 60 to 90 years. Another good response from you is your asking and correctly answering the question “What is success?” Relatively less success as a writer can be accompanied by greater success as a happy and fulfilled human, citizen, worker, husband and parent. Beethoven, who is considered the greatest of the classical masters, achieved awesome musical success but never knew the simple and fulfilling joys of being a husband or father. He never knew the rich and fulfilling joys of family life.

11. Hi Chris, Great blog post. I loved the section where you talked about

“within every adult is a child, and in the heart of that child lays an unanswered question, or questions. They are the compulsions that drive us, the insecurities that cause us to lose sleep at night, and the reason we hide behind excuses…”

We all have them. I have them. The difference is, at my age, I am beginning to realise what some of those unanswered childish questions are. I hope that along your journey, you too learn what your’s are. Keep on blogging.

Namaste

Martin

12. Zaid Ismail says:

If it wasn’t for entropy, time would be irrelevant. For me, this realisation has always meant that the focus should be on what capability and resources I have at my disposal, and whether or not I’m using them to full effect relative to my goals. It’s also for this reason that I avoid token occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. They have a tendency to convince us that the time to celebrate life is coming, but is not yet here.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

13. such a great piece.

You are young and time is on your side. you mentioned a number of wise things above that clicked with me deeply, but one you said was about how many different objectives we have had (studying, spending time with patents, writing, and keeping healthy and so on). in my case i had to choose time to time which ones to let go and which ones to keep. my regret now is not being able to make the best choices for my life or for people I love dearly. But i kind of know too that the majority of the time i made the decisions that seemed right at the time I made them.

See, the critical point for me is to be able to accept the fact that there will be choices, sometimes hard, and we can always feel insecure or regretful about them, but we also need to understand that if we had just slowed down and listened ourselves/reevaluate our objectives and our circumstances, perhaps we would see that we in fact have doing well, or were in need of change.

all the best

14. The eye is a brilliant image. I’m 82, about to self-publish my first book, which leaves me little time for my love of reading and writing. I feel the passage of time and the frustration of not enough of it. Yet, the richness of life keeps me going.The joy of family, along with the chaos, and the discipline of catering to healthy habits. My mottoes, “It’s never too late.

1. Hearing someone your age say this as i read Chris’s post meant so much.. I’m 26:$ . Thank you for sharing. Sincerely,
      Joy

15. jlfatgcs says:

Great post! Your thought process is expressed beautifully, and makes the reader really think.

16. I saw the intro to this post and liked before I even begun reading. Thank you, Chris. I need to be reminded in a constant whirlwind, of the stillness that has no time. And I am often amazed of how trapped we feel in this construct especially. And I have to say, I wasn’t expecting 27. It gives me comfort in a way, that I’m not the only one. That we are supposed to feel like we have time yet it feels like we are running out and I have to remind myself I’m not even 25 yet.

17. stuartaken says:

An excellent and well thought out post, which I’ve reblogged as I think it should be read by as many people as possible. Thank you.

18. stuartaken says:

Reblogged this on Stuart Aken and commented:
    Worth your time to read!

19. jrose88 says:

It’s interesting that we started measuring time so early in human history. I took a class in college titled The History of Education and one of the things we covered was the incorporation of time into everyday life. But the article I remember reading only talked about it in a later time — when towns started to all have big town clocks that loudly chimed the hour, up to the development of carrying time around with us as pocket watches or wristwatches. Now, of course, we carry time in our pockets in the form of cell phones, along with all the contact numbers we’re too stressed out to remember, a GPS because we always have to know where we’re going, and all kinds of apps ranging from things that tell you how many steps to take to how much water to drink to how much sleep you should be getting. And all the time-wasting apps too. We’re so obsessed with time and yet we’re so good at inventing and marketing new ways to waste it.

20. Great blog post – love the backdrop of semiotics and philosophy!

21. Edward Fagan says:

Thanks for liking my latest post, Chris. There’s an area of your success of which you might not be mindful, namely, the extent to which your writing brings joy, enlightenment and hope to those of us who read it.

We are mortal and live in a time filled world. Time is not a mere human concept, it is a fact of nature and its limitation probably helps as much as hinders us. Our maturity from conception to adolescence through adulthood reminds us that we are not immortal and do not live in a timeless world. The plant and animal worlds remind us that they too are mortal and subject to the limitations and freedoms of time.

The helplessness of babies can’t be denied. Their need of maturity through time is realized in time and they become helpful to themselves and others as adults. Yes, time limits us by forcing us to rely on it for maturity but it also frees us as it gradually gives us that maturity. The Bard of Avon, William Shakespeare, though born a genius matured with time. His very earliest poetry shows this.

You are called to a great purpose and are being prepared for it over time. Work hard and be patient and realize that success is coming bit-by-bit as you mature gradually in time. Patience and hardwork are the keys to maturing to masterhood.

22. artrosch says:

Chris, your wonderfully honest confession is testament to a level of integrity that is rare. I’m forty years your senior and i’m still trying to make a literary success of myself. I can’t help but laugh. Listen, my friend. Confusion is the basic state of any honest artist. It is also the first step on a spiritual path. Why am I the way I am? How did I get like this? Why can’t I fall into a right relation with life? To admit your perplexity is to throw a giant load of shit into the trash and say, “fuck it, I don’t know what’s going on, I don’t know anything at all.” I haven’t met a 27 year old who isn’t ridiculously busy. It’s the nature of our tiime-construct. It’s built into the economy, the bedrock of our social structure. Relax, you’re doing great! You’re worth reading, you’re not a bore. What else can I say?

23. barryh says:

Maybe if you just follow your heart, your inner self, and what it impels you to do,
    maybe you will be recognised as a great writer.
    Maybe not.
    If you have a fulfilling life,
    did it matter whether you ‘achieved’ those dreams?

Anyway, you’re a great blogger!

24. dragonstepsout says:

I stopped working fulltime earlier this year. There are still many things that aren’t getting done in my life. Clearly, the number of hours in the day has nothing whatsoever to do with accomplishments. Motivation and setting priorities are a greater influence than time.

25. wow man, you have the skills to write. The best part of it is that you make me go deeper inside my self and reflecting about things in a better way. I sure you will succeed. Never give up on your dreams, and i just want u to know that the way you write and express your self its just amazing 🙂
    Sorry for my bad english 🙂

26. karrymi says:

Loved this post, I really need to stop hiding behind time.

27. Sexagesimal. I had no idea that there was a name for the system we use to we break down time or that it was created by the Sumerians. I also fear that I will never accomplish my goals as a writer and frequently use time as an excuse. “Babe, I can’t go out tonight. I just don’t have the time. I have to write this and do that.” It’s time that I stop using time as an excuse not to reach my goals because I fear that I may never reach them.

28. mashenk says:

yes .. one has to be able to use the time well.
    writings were very helpful. regards

29. Time…. take a moment to breathe. Smell the roses. They wilt. Spend time with people you love. It took a health scare to finally make me slow down. Live without regret. Love beyond means. Hope without end.
    XO
    lD

30. Thanks for liking my post and drawing my attention to yours. You might like to read “How to live on 24 hours a day” by the classic British author, Arnold Bennett. I read it yesterday then saw your post today. Curious. MIchael

31. jordanadams7 says:

Wow. I’ve never come across another human being (let alone, writer) who thought on such a similar wavelength as myself. I look forward to reading more of your posts and your work good sir.

32. mukhamani says:

Very interesting. When we like something we always have time for it otherwise we say there is no time. Quite some time ago I was telling a cousin that time is flying, he said I am lucky because there are people who say they don’t know what to with their time. That is sad. Regards.

33. Chris, this is beyond beautiful, true, deep, thought-provoking, instructive on philosophy, science, human nature…This is absolutely brilliant. I read it quite a few times now and i keep wanting ti peak at what the next few lines have to say.

Have never ever enjoyed reading a blog post as i did this one; honestly.

Fav bits: the all of it, but I could relate THE MOST to here:

” When I started blogging I had a list of unanswered questions and insecurities a mile long, but through writing I have managed to discover the answers to many of them. I’m no longer afraid of accepting my vulnerabilities, nor am I afraid of exposing heart and mind to the world. There are posts on this website that I wrote with a smile on my face, and there are many that I wrote with tears running down my cheeks.”

Thank you for existing, in the blogging world. Wow, wowo u leave me wow-ed at all the ideas on there.

Truly yours,
    Joy

34. Are you familiar with the concept of re-sentiment?

1. ladycee says:

No! Do you have a link so I may familiarise myself?

1. ladycee says:

Thank you very much. Appreciated! 😃

35. From my childhood: “Please, sir, I didn’t have enough time.” “You had all the time there was, didn’t you?”

1. erinlynnetallman says:

From my childhood: “Why are you crying,” my parents asked me when I was 8. “Because I don’t have enough time.” “Enough time for what?” “Enough time to do everything there is to do.” I still find myself fearing time, but have succeeded in not living by a clock. I never know what time my flight leaves until the night before. We’re not here for such a “long time”, but we’re here and every second is amazing – even when it sucks.

1. It’s like living in Mexico or the Dominican Republic: hora dominicana … not at all the same wrist watch and much happening by sun-and-stomach time.

36. erinlynnetallman says:

“The Time Keeper” by Mitch Albom 🙂

37. This was a great post, thanks a lot for making it. I’ve actually been thinking a lot recently about time. Sometimes I come across those things on the internet that say something like “you will spend around X years doing x mundane activity.” And that kind of depresses me. You know, so much of life must be devoted to sleeping, or shitting, or eating, or standing in line, etc and it just feels like there’s only one small piece of the pie left to do what you actually want to do.
    I used to be very religious but, after coming to terms with my sexuality, I realized that I don’t much believe in religion or any kind of afterlife. And, with this realization, I suddenly came to terms with the brevity of life. For years and throughout my childhood I had always been promised this endless afterlife…and when I believed in that, wasting time didn’t seem like a horrible thing. I believed I had plenty of it. But now I’m under the impression that this one life is all i’ve got, and when I’m gone, I’m gone.
    In a way, I think realizing that has made me into a better person. I find that I better sympathize with others and I have a stronger desire to help people out (because they only have one life, too). I find that I tell my loved ones that I love them as much as I can. I go out of my way to see my family members, even the ones I would really rather not see a lot. And I’ve learned to make more time for myself, devote more time to my health, figure out how to travel a lot, etc etc.
    So time sucks sometimes. We never seem to have a lot of it. But I think that very fact also brings out the better parts of humanity in us. I’m not one to be optimistic but…I don’t know. It’s good to be alive, even if for a moment.

1. ladycee says:

I wonder how you will feel if on death you discover there is an afterlife but your choice about where you spend it could only be made in this life?

And I wonder how you would feel if on entering the afterlife you discover that you will indeed experience eternity/immortality, however your choice for where and how you spend that eternity (in paradise or with endless gnashing of teeth) could only be made now in this life?

Makings of a gripping story or the needless reality of countless lives? Only time will tell!

1. I’m happy now. I’m healthy, much more so than when I was religious. I don’t know what will happen when I die (though science tends to support the conclusions I’ve already drawn), but I do know that I’m alive now. And I’m happy now, and this is where I want to stay. And would I be any more happy worshiping an invisible, egotistical, self-professed jealous deity that designed a huge test of faith, only to send those who fail into a chamber of torture for eternity, all while claiming that it was out of love? Do I desire to worship something that has the power to save all and to eliminate evil but does not? Do I want to worship something whose story is so flawed yet so popular amongst world religions that it seems obvious that it was A human-made and B a part of the culture that conceived it? And, upon dying, would I really want to spend eternity praising this egotistical deity for allowing sin to take over the world and for allowing the majority of his children to be tortured forever? I hope that, when I die, I don’t think about anything, because there will no longer be a me, and I will die like any other organism on Earth, and the soil will take me and I will, again, become one with the world. I’m good.

2. ladycee says:

Hello Connor,
        I do not recognise this “something” that you speak of. I guess if I felt the same way about this something or someone, I would not want to worship it/Him either. Peace and love to you and enjoy your health and happiness.

38. MrKirkBHS says:

This is something I’ve often thought about: the relative arbitrariness of the force so many of us use to govern our lives. When I consider the power thought has over the body, I can’t help but wonder whether those of us who have become so acutely aware of time’s passing are the ones who age more quickly. I don’t suppose there will ever be research carried out about something that seems so unscientific, though.

Thank you for posting this. It’s certainly sparked a train of thought or two for me.

39. You’ve journeyed inside my soul. Amazing post. Thank you.
    Thank you as well for your visit.

40. Wow Chris, very elequently put. Time…such an odd commodity whicheck holds so much value we’re always striving for me. It’s more precious than gold and yet always is just beyond our grasp. Very thought provoking and captivating post.

41. ladycee says:

Hello Chris,
    I am a new follower and enjoyed this post – thought-provoking, intelligent and informative – thank you.
    In terms of your writing angst and frustrations there are those such as J K Rowling who have achieved envy-inducing success but would not necessarily be ranked as a ‘literary great’. Also, perhaps many of those who achieved such status did so posthumously!
    It’s human nature to compare ourselves with others but does not lead to peace – the ones we envy will have similar qualms and feelings of frustration, failure and dissatisfaction, because the eye is never satisfied with seeing.
    When all is said and done a dying person does not ask for their accomplishments (published works) to be brought to their bedside. They want their loved ones!
    As a blogger and writer you are achieving immense success. Your followers number in the hundreds and you manage to draw so many comments to your posts (despite the fact that you do not respond to all commenters), features which I wish I enjoyed and which I trust you appreciate.
    Brilliant image by the way!

42. coreyjhcmt says:

Thank you for the post. I am just beginning my blog life, so it was nice to hear that I am not the only one having the what if syndrome. I have just tapped into writing with my emotions and it’s a whole different ball game when you type in tears. You wonder will anyone see them in your words. Your words are encouraging and I appreciate your message. Be well, Chris.

43. Pete says:

Fascinating look at time. I love your writing style and your use of words. You have a mastery few attain, let alone that you are only 27. Trying to define time and how we use it s difficult, and you have grasped it well in this piece. The only thing I can say is that we must make the most of our time. The good book says “Redeeming the time”. We are all given the same amount, and we follow our own priorities in using it. f we feel we have wasted time, we can only blame ourselves.

44. I’d like to know why you NEED to be alongside the ‘elite’ as you say…why is ‘average’ or ‘good’ never good enough? Is that how you define success? Perhaps your definition (and desire) needs re-working, and perhaps you need to lower your expectations to a level at which you know you can succeed. And at 27, you have WAY MORE TIME than many of us (I’m 55). Use it wisely; learn from those who have already journeyed that path. To learn from others is to learn about yourself. Good post.

45. Yes. Writing helps me to process feelings, intellectualise emotinal vulnerabilities, and thus accept that i am a person with insecurities. Time seems to me to be running out fast. Reading your post makes me think i am giving undue importance to time. We each have a life span. It is not necessary to reach each milestone exactly when we had imagined we would. As long as we strive and make progress, i think we are good. The journey itself is the reward and we miss seeing that.